Bits ‘n Pieces
In the justice system:
- Susan Shaw has been charged with multiple counts of theft and identity theft. Investigators say she gained access to a financial database and that there are at least 11 victims. More.
- Mark Pinella, owner of Dino’s Pizza in Fayetteville, has been charged with multiple counts of ID theft for skimming his customers’ credit and debit cards. Over 160 victims have been identified already, with 50 fraud reports. More.
- Leland Glaze pleaded guilty to using stolen identity information to open fraudulent credit card accounts and has been sentenced to more than five years in prison for bank fraud and identity theft. More.
- Attorneys for Sholom Rubashkin of Agriprocessors Inc. filed a motion to dismiss the identity theft charges against him in light of the recent Supreme Court ruling. More.
- A federal appeals court affirmed the conviction of Gagik Urutyan. Urutyan had been convicted of stealing debit card information from customers at a gas station where he worked and using the stolen debit card information to steal more than $600,000 from hundreds of victims. More.
- Ashish Ravindran Nathan, an engineering student at the Indian Institute of Technology, was arrested for fraud. He reportedly used social engineering to obtain his victims’ credit card details and then contacted their card issuers to have contact details changed. More.