Bits ‘n Pieces
In the justice system:
- Boynton Beach police announced the dismantling of an organized identity theft ring defrauding unsuspecting victims throughout South Florida. “Operation Decoder Ring” led to charges against 10 people, including Rolando Manuel Figueredo-Triana, on more than 70 counts of organized scheme to defraud, grand theft, criminal use of personal identification, forgery, unauthorized sale and possession of fictitious driver’s license, fraudulent use of credit cards, use of re-encoder to defraud and dealing in stolen property. More.
- Cassandra Montrevel was arrested on suspicion of fraud, identity theft and possession of a credit card skimmer that she allegedly used to skim customers’ card data while she worked at a Claire’s Accessories boutique. More than 150 customers allegedly had their data stolen. More.
- Chantell Denise Bentley, accused of helping three men steal credit card information from diners at two Little Rock restaurants, pled guilty to a conspiracy charge. Three others await trial: Carlos Lamont Brown, Jared Scott Sentell, and James Edmond “Jimmy” Hinton.The data was stolen from diners at Olive Garden and Copelands of New Orleans; two of the accused were waiters at the restaurants. More.
- In South Carolina, federal postal inspectors said Tuesday that more than 50 people arrested within the past year by an Upstate task force stole mail or documents to commit “identity theft or mail fraud.” More.
- Gerald Jerrelle Allen, who has reportedly stolen several identities and posed as at least two public officials — including Rapides Parish Sheriff Chuck Wagner — has been arrested on numerous charges. More.