Comelec website hacker arrested – NBI (Updated)

Jenny F. Manongdo reports:

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) announced the arrest of one of the three persons responsible for the hacking of the website of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) last month.

After three weeks of collaborative surveillance efforts between the Comelec, NBI and other government agencies, the 23-year old fresh graduate of an IT course was arrested in his home in Sampaloc, Manila on Wednesday night, authorities said.

NBI Director Virgilio Mendez said they have been examining the contents of his computer since Wednesday night and are hoping to release a full report by Thursday or Friday  regarding the extent of information acquired by the hackers.

Mendez said the suspect admitted that the hacking was intended to show the vulnerability of the Comelec website.

Read more on Manila Bulletin.

Update: More details have emerged that may leave you shaking your head.

Paul Biteng, the 23-year-old who allegedly hacked the Commission on Elections (Comelec) website last month, was anything but contrite when agents of the National Bureau of Investigation  arrested him in Manila on Wednesday night.

When presented to NBI Director Virgilio Mendez, Biteng—tagged as a member of the hacking group Anonymous Philippines—had an unusual request.

“He even took a selfie with me. He asked me, ‘Sir, can I have my picture taken with you?’” Mendez said, shaking his head as he recalled his meeting with the suspect, who faces charges for violating the anti-cybercrime law.

The bureau said Biteng, a recent information technology graduate, was known as PhantomHacker Khalifa in the hackers community which considered him one of the best, a “master.”

Read more on Inquirer.net.

About the author: Dissent

Comments are closed.