Luxemburg-Casco School District notifies employees of data breach
On November 18, 2021, Luxemburg-Casco School District in Wisconsin experienced a data security incident that resulted in unauthorized access to 1,399 individuals’ personal information involving their name in combination with social security number and financial account information without the PIN number or access code.
In response to the breach, and in addition to offering those impacted mitigation services through Kroll, the district has taken a number of steps including:
- installation of two new servers with Carbon Black and Huntress
- reimaging all PCs
- installation of Carbon Black and Huntress on all PCs
- updating the antivirus software
- changing passwords for staff and students
- implementing two-step authentication for email, and
- utilizing backup data stored in the Cloud.
The district’s notification letter by the superintendent does not indicate whether this was a ransomware attack and if so, whether they paid ransom.