This ‘n that

Some of what I’m reading this morning while working on my first cup of coffee:

I was surprised to read that the Department of Defense is involved in notifying military members and families who paid state income taxes in South Carolina about the massive SC Department of Revenue breach. Does the DOD normally get involved in state agency breach notifications?   Meanwhile, a state senate committee investigating the breach was told that investing $25,000 in a dual password system could have prevented the data theft.

New research from Trend Micro reports that 91% of cyber attacks begin with spear phishing;  94% of targeted emails use malicious file attachments as the payload or infection source while the other 6% use alternative methods such as installing malware through malicious links. More on Techworld.

A Romanian ring that was recently busted had half a million Australian’s credit card numbers. The majority of victims were small businesses, service stations, petrol stations and corner stores.  I wonder if any of them knew they had been compromised.

California’s Insurance Commissioner has opened an investigation into Nationwide/Allied’s security measures following their recent hack.  I wonder why they decided to investigate this one as there have been other insurance companies that have had breaches affecting California residents, right?.  Numbers on the breach continue to dribble out. My running total is now over 45,000, but the Insurance Commissioner says that Nationwide informed them that 1 million were affected by this breach.


About the author: Dissent

Has one comment to “This ‘n that”

You can leave a reply or Trackback this post.
  1. Hypestate - December 5, 2012

    holy moly, this is starting to sound pretty serious. a disruptive attack that the dod is involved?! i guess i will sign up for the identity protection. but i have to say, its the reporting agency whom are dangerous. without them there would be no fraud.

Comments are closed.