Your Mobile Device and Health Information Privacy and Security
In light of a recent blog post about nurses using their own smartphones to enter clinical data, I thought this might be a good time to point readers to HHS’s recent resources for securing mobile devices. Their top tips:
1. Use a password or other user authentication
2. Install and enable encryption
3. Install and activate remote wiping and/or remote disabling
4. Disable and do not install or use file sharing applications
5. Install and enable a firewall
6. Install and enable security software
7. Keep your security software up to date
8. Research mobile applications (apps) before downloading
9. Maintain physical control
10. Use adequate security to send or receive health information over public Wi-Fi networks 11. Delete all stored health information before discarding or reusing the mobile device.
Read more on HHS.